Dr. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary
· Moderate Activity
Time to visit:
Tue – Sun 6:00AM to 6:00PM
3-4 hrs. (suggested)
Jun to Feb
Sep to Oct
Summer: 30°C – 40°C
Winter: 15°C – 25°C
The Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary is so named after India’s top ornithologist. It is a hidden gem that not many people visit but it makes for a top sight-seeing place in Goa. The Sanctuary is located on Chorao Island on River Mandovi which necessitates a ferry ride across to the island. The island is covered in mangrove swamps and frequented by birds of all kinds. Both local as well as out of state birds make a home in the sanctuary. You can spot many species of birds here like Pintails, Blue-winged teals, Maddar ducks, Purple herons as also storks, flying foxes, jackals, and crocodiles.
Courtesy: Ismail Shaikh Vlogs
The mangrove swamps are a good breeding habitat for many birds, fishes, and insects. There is a watch tower in the sanctuary from where you can watch the various kinds of birds that frequent the island. Visitors would be well advised to lather themselves up in insect repellents when visiting the sanctuary. The island is easy to visit but it needs some planning in advance as you require a permit from the Chief Wild Life Warden, Forest Department, Junta House, Panaji.
This is a relatively small sanctuary but it is rich in nature’s attractions and makes it to the lists of numerous travellers. Its short distance from Panaji makes the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary especially convenient to visit.
- The e-ticket is not transferable.
- Entry Fee is not refundable.
- E-ticket cancellations are not permitted.
- Visitor may be required to show photo identity proof in original at the entry to the monument.
- Edibles are not allowed inside the monument.
- Inflammable/dangerous/explosive articles are not allowed.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Nearest Airport: Goa International Airport
- Nearest Railway Station: Panji Railway Station
|Best Time to Visit|
|Ideal Duration at Location|
|State or Territory|
|Time of Day|
|Nearest Major Airport|
|Eligibility (Age Groups)|